Friday, September 23, 2011

When changing spark plugs, is there any difference between the type used for fuel-inj and carb engines?

I'm doing a simple tune-up on a 1985 4wd Toyota pickup (4cyl 22R) and bought replacement spark plugs under the assumption that it uses a carbeurator (though apparently Toyota introduced fuel-injection models at about the same time) - once I returned home I became suspicious that it was in fact actually a fuel-injected model - as I am a novice mechanic and this is my first job on a Toyota can anyone offer any advice on what to look for to be sure (I don't actually SEE the carb and the truck starts without pumping first, that's what made me wonder if it was actually fuel-injection)? Will it make a difference if I use the spark plugs I was given at the auto parts store under the assumption that it was for a model using a carb? (I tried it anyway since by the time I thought it through I had already replaced all 4, and the truck started up just fine, but obviously I don't want to risk any future problems.)
When changing spark plugs, is there any difference between the type used for fuel-inj and carb engines?
In 1985 Toyota did make 2 4 cyl. engine in the sr5. One was Carb

the other was fuel injected as you stated but it was Turbocharged!

I'm betting you got it right. The Turbo trucks blew up a long time ago.
When changing spark plugs, is there any difference between the type used for fuel-inj and carb engines?
A 22r has a carburetor a 22re is fuel injected and the plugs are fine for both
carburetor or fuel injection does not affect on the kind of spark plugs, just look for an appropriate kind .
The best way to go with plugs is having all of the info on the vehicle , year, make , model , engine size , even take the vin code in to the parts store they will give you the right parts and suggest better plugs like platinum's which last a lot longer . Or remove one wright down the number off it and put it back then take the number in so they can match the part number .Know what your working on at all times .
i don,t think so. maybe just the gap might be different if even that.