Friday, September 23, 2011

I am changing my spark plugs on my 2001 gmc sierra.?

My truck just reached 100k miles and I am doing a tune up. A few people have told me that buying the spark plugs and wires at the dealership is the only way to go. Supposedly I will get the best performance from the factory a/c delco products but they are expensive. Is there really that much difference?
I am changing my spark plugs on my 2001 gmc sierra.?
Since the factory parts lasted you this long, you might as well stay with them as long as there are no other major mods going on. As for the price, you don't have to get them from the dealer. You can get AC Delco parts at any auto parts store, you may have to wait a day or two for the wires to be ordered, but they should have the plugs in stock. The price will be significantly lower at a place like NAPA than at a dealer, and the parts are exactly the same.



I did a tune up on my Ranger last month. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv valve and all filters were from Motorcraft-Ford oem parts. The total parts cost was less than $100.00. It took my local auto parts store overnight to get everything in, but, they did it.
I am changing my spark plugs on my 2001 gmc sierra.?
Actually I disagree with the first two answers. I prefer the Bosch Platinum +2 spark plugs. They have two points at the end of the plug which results in better fuel ignition and they require no gapping. As for the plug wires, I go with a slightly better set for better performance, however a standard set of any brand will do.



I also would not go to the dealer but to a local auto parts store. The dealer will just overcharge you for getting the exact same parts.
it cost me a little bit over $200 to put all ac delco on my 99 blazer v6 from local part store. i got new dis. cap, rotor button, wires and plugs. you will have to get the platnium plugs thats what comes factory. i tried the other brands in previous chevy autos and never had any luck. the autolite plugs would foul out and the other brands just didnt seem to cut it. as high as as gas is i would put in ac delco to keep the performance that u have.
In general I would say that since you have gone 7 years on the originals I would pop for the GM brand just for the confidence it will give you. If you get something else and they don't work right then you will have spent a lot of time and extra money for nothing.
the AC Delco are all that I run in my truck!!!
  • faults next to targus mini mouse
  • programming
  •