Thursday, October 6, 2011

Do I need the screw on tips that come with spark plugs?

Ok, I'm changing my spark plugs, (Bosch) for the first time on a 1989 vw fox. I noticed these small screw on tips that are also in the box with each spark plug but are loose, not screwed on.

When I took the wire off my old plugs I didn't see those tips on the end so do I need to or should I use them?
Do I need the screw on tips that come with spark plugs?
No you'll be fine NOT using the tips.... IF and ONLY if your POSITIVE when you removed the old ones there were none.



it's just a different type of connector up inside the spark plug wire... one is bigger and smooth... ( the extra tips )

one is smaller and accepts the ridges.. should feel a .. zip.. pop.. click

when it is firmly in place



hope that's helpful
Do I need the screw on tips that come with spark plugs?
Look closely at the inside of the ignition wire where it attatches to the plug. The size of the connector (inside the boot) will tell you what to do.
Spark plug makers streamline their production by allowing a plug fit several applications. Comparing your old plugs with the new ones is generally your safest bet.



If you do not have that option, try installing them into the plug wire before you put them in the engine. If they seat firmly in the wire, you're done! If not, screw the provided tips on and drive away.
what joe c said
  • handling exceptions
  • read orf file
  •