Thursday, October 6, 2011

When should spark plugs be changed?

I have a 2000 Buick Century with 74,000 miles on it. The car doesn't seem to be running as well lately. I heard that spark plugs can now last over 100,000 miles with a platinum tip. I never had the spark plugs changed. I drove the car on the highway mostly. With the mileage and the fact that the car is now 9 years old should I change the spark plugs?
When should spark plugs be changed?
My car has 100,000 miles and runs better than when I bought it. It has the original spark plugs. A Toyota RAV4 owner's manual says to replace the spark plugs at 120,000 miles. If I were you I'd replace them when they fail resulting in an engine ignition misfire. However, on your GM engine, it's possible an engine ignition misfire can damage your ignition module and coil. So I would first remove the spark plug connections one by one and clean them to make sure there's no corrosion in the plug wire connectors or the coil pack contacts.



http://www.aa1car.com/library/misfire.ht鈥?/a>
When should spark plugs be changed?
If you change the plugs you are just guessing what the problem would be. You can do what you want but if you change the plugs, filter, air filter, plug wires and anything else you can think of and it still runs bad you just wasted 300 dollars for nothing. Take it to a mechanic and spend 100 to find the real problem.
A white sticker on the underside of the hood should have some tune up details on it. Verify engine's plug requirements as yours may not be platinum type.



If not a fresh set may be in order.



Good luck.
Even though platinum plugs should go for 100K, I replaced mine about every 50K. They're relatively cheap to help keep the car running good.
i would say it,s about time for new plugs and wires also. if i were you i would do a complete tune-up on it.
with that many miles a general tune up would be good. Change plugs fuel filter, air filter etc.
yes

change them